Tuesday, November 17, 2009

All change in the brewing arena!

So I've moved everything around in the homebrew department to try and maximise my potential.

Firstly, it seems like the lager for our trip to center parcs is carbonating so I've moved it out to the shed for cold conditioning. While I was out there I checked on the Ponting brew. This still wasn't carbonating, so that's now under a duvet in the bedroom to hopefully warm it up and get those yeasties making some CO2!

I also managed to make some room in the shed for my empties. I've been acquiring wine bottles, and these had been sat in the kitchen. I've relented and moved them to a more sensible place.

Yesterday I racked my apple and grape juice wine, as the FG was 992. I've added a campen tab and some potassium sorbate to end fermentation and stabilse this. It's now sat in the utility room on my brewing/painting shelf. I have brewed my beer in here, but with no urgent plans for more ale, i've made space for 6 demijohns!

I'll add finings in a day or so, rack, after a couple of days and bottle. I'll add some juice to each bottle, mainly to help with flavour.

I've also started a youngs cab sav wine kit. This is bubbling away nicely, started last Weds, though I may have topped up too far with water too early, as I got up this morning to a frothy red airlock!

So the reason my demijohn stash has expanded to 7 is that Nik's parents found a bunch while clearing the loft. I wasn't greedy, I only took 4 for me! Once clean I can get more orange wine on the go, and I've been intriguied with atomic lemon since I found the forum thread. I may have to start that soon!

Right then! I'll end this post here, enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home