Friday, November 06, 2009

More bottling, jims beer

Yesterday i found the time to bottle the beer I'm brewing partly for my dad's birthday and partly to take away at the end of the month.

The bottling went well, i sanitised everything with a mild bleach solution at 10mls per litre approximately. I've now run out of bottles, so will need to drink some/ buy some before I can make another brew!

I've changed regime slightly this time round. I've added slightly more than half a teaspoon per pint. I think that my carbonation issues may partly stem from this, and the euro lager brew that i loaded with 1 teaspoon per pint turned out well, so i'll see what happens. I used a half tablespoon measure and loaded that with an eye's measure of a half full spoon.

The second carbonation issue I think relates to storage. I've been brewing in out utility room, which is a steady 18-19 degrees. However i think it's a bit cool for the bottled beers to get going properly, so I'm starting this off in the bedroom, which should be the warmest room in the house. Here's hoping!

On a side note i treated myself to a bottle of my woodfordes great eastern as a bottling reward. It was pretty good. Nicely balanced between hoppy, bitter and fresh. I'll enjoy drinking this I think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home