Monday, November 02, 2009

things to update

Right. I haven't updated in a while. The main reason is that i keep forgetting!

My orange wine has turned out really well. It was still murky after 3 weeks in the demijohn so i got hold of some clearing agent. This worked fantastically and left me with 5-6 bottles of crystal clear white wine that is crisp, light, faintly orangey and very easy to drink.
I've put a slight variation on already, an apple juice and grape juice combo. We've already slurped our way through most of the orange wine!

I'm having a little trouble at the moment conditioning my beer. Once bottled, I'm leaving it in the utility room (where i've brewed the beer) for a few days before sticking it in the shed to cold condition. i
I've tried a couple of different bottles of my improved coopers aussie lager, Ponting (runout Flintoff) and it's just flat and weak.
I've brought it into the main part of the house for a week or so, to try and revive it. I thought it had done the trick but having sampled another bottle last night, it's still decidely flat. I'll advocate patience, and making sure the plastic bottles used are screwed on properly and i'll see where i am in a couple of weeks..

The same seems to be happening with my Great Eastern Ale, which should be ok, as it shouldn't need to sparkle like a lager, but would be good to have some fizz!

Could the carbonation issue be due to the use of 2 litre PET bottles. I've used more of these than usual.

On another note i've got a youngs harvest pilsner on the go, as a combination of gift for my dad's birrthday and to take away for our center parcs trip. It's currently at 1008 and it would be sweet if it's ready tomorrow as i need to bottle it to gift wrap!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home