Wednesday, March 31, 2010

busy weekend

I found some time last weekend to fill my empty demijohns. Unfortunately I also had to consign one DJ to the great wine store in the sky. Whilst moving the DJs around i must have dinged it on something hard as there's now a massive crack pretty much all the way round the base. Sad times!

Anyway, i've expanded my repetoire and created a gallon each of the following:

Ribena wine- taken from a litre bottle of hi juice cordial (50% fruit), and a carton of red grape juice. The cordial was simmered for 25 minutes to remove any nasty preservatives. I added sugar to this for the last 5-10 minutes. Whilst this was cooling i put the grape juice and usual additives into a clean DJ. I think I didn't let the cordial cool down enough as the yeast didn't really kick in like the other wines so I stuck more yeast in. It's now bubbling gently away and I'm intrigued as to the final taste!

Wurzel - this was a red grape and OJ combo, with a cinammon stick and a few crushed cloves. It's a replication of our Christmas wine so we're looking forward to how this come out!

Ginger Beer- the first batch has piqued my interest and I want to perfect a recipe! This time round I've made two variations, both on the same recipe as previuosly, with less citrus (I've zested and squeezed juice of one lime into each demijohn) and more ground ginger. One I've kept like this and the second I've added some cayenne powder for a bit more kick!
The first batch I made is slowly getting drunk. The issues I have with it are not enough ginger up front and that I couldn't find my fine mesh when I sieved off the sediment. there's a few small pieces of ginger/lemon flesh in the bottle which could be avoided.
So I can easily sort that and the harder thing will be increasing the upfront ginger . But it's a good experiment and I'm enjoying tinkering with it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home