Friday, October 22, 2010

back on the brewing horse

Right, after quite a break I've eased myself back into the brewing with a couple of DJs of wurzels wine. I've also made an experimental cider from our apple trees.

I juices loads and loads of apples over a couple of weeks, freezing each batch in freezer bags till I had about 6 litres. I defrosted all these packs overnight in some warm water. Unfortunately some had split only leaving around 2.5 litres. So, with a sad demeanour I added my cider yeast to this in anticipation of whether we might get.

Well I've let it brew out fully and clear in the fv. Having bottled only 3 half litre bottles, I'm gutted for the effort we put into juicing, but keen to improve! It's settled out at 6% which ain't bad for pure apples!.

I would be tempted to try this method again, though more carefully. However I've recently found out a method similar to starting a country wine. By soaking apples in a bucket for a week, while smooshing them up daily. They can then be sieved into the fv with minimal fuss.
I'm really excited by this and can't wait to try it!

I also need to plan this around doing my new beer kits. I've got the usual coopers lager and a Milestone IPA 2 can kit.

Think I need to get a beer on ASAP so it can be out of my fv ready for apples in a week or so. I think I read that you should store the apples in the dark for 7 days or so prior to brewing. I need to check this out and get cracking.

Right back on that horse!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home