Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Black Shucks

Well then, I've conducted my first proper wine based experiment. We had picked some hawberries a while ago with the intention of making a straight haw wine.

However I never got round to collecting enough berries, and we needed space in the freezer so I have had a go. I have added about 800g haws to 200g ish blackberries.

These had boiling water poured over them, were mashed and cooled. 200g sugar was also added. When cool, I added pectolase, nutrient and yeast. This was left for 4 days to get going.

I've now strained into a demijohn and added a further 500g sugar. This has brought the gravity up to 1064, acceptable enough I think.

It's a real shame that I'll have to wait months before finding out how well this works.

Part of the nature of the homebrewer though I suppose!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home